Dip Dye Your Tips Instructions
Add another dimension to your fiber art! Just dip your tips, wait, rinse, and dry!
Vertical or square bucket or plastic vessel or stainless steel sink
2-3 quarts of Water
1/4 cup Salt
2-4oz of Liquid Dye
Spoon to stir with
- Fill plastic container or stainless steel sink with hot water, (ideally 140 degrees), enough so that your fiber moves freely.
- For this project 2-3 quarts of water in a vertical container works well or 3-4 quarts of water if it is a low square bucket.
- Add 1/4 cup salt to water and stir to dissolve
- Add 2-4 oz of liquid dye and stir, being careful not to splash it up on sides of container as you are dip dyeing only the tips.
- If you want, wrap a towel (that can be ruined if color gets on it) or cloth around your fiber art , leaving the tips you are dipping exposed-this keeps dye from splashing on the rest of your piece.
- Wet the part of the fiber art you will be dipping or color will not absorb properly
- Dip tips, moving gently to absorb the color for at least 10 and up to 30 minute
- For an ombre effect, gradually pull the piece up leaving the ends in dye for longer
- Leave in until desired color is reached. Remember it will look darker while fiber is wet, and will dry lighter.
- Remove from dye bath and ring out
- Rinse in cool water until water runs clear
- For further and more detailed directions: https://www.ritdye.com/instructions/how-to-dye-using-the-sink-or-bucket-method
- +a lot of dye methods call for detergent in the water to promote even dyeing, but since this method isn’t really even you don’t need it.